A platform bed offers many benefits, but you get the best sleep if you pair it with the right mattress. Here’s how you find the best mattress for platform beds. Platform beds nowadays are becoming more popular compared to traditional box springs beds. These platform beds look stylish, while the lower profile helps to make even cramped condo bedrooms feel spacious. The lack of box springs lowers the price, which then helps in adding to your budget when you’re looking for the best mattress for platform beds.
Finding the best mattress that can suit your platform bed isn’t always easy. That’s because there’s a wide range of choices available. But you can make it easier for yourself by picking among the list of the best mattresses we’ve found that will make great matches for your platform beds.
7 Best Selling Mattresses for Platform Beds Reviews 2019
Casper Sleep Memory Foam 10 Inch Mattress, Queen (Runner-Up Choice)
This Casper Sleep mattress is made from memory foam, which is one of the types of mattresses that best suit a platform bed. But this is no ordinary memory foam mattress. It’s so innovative that when it was first launched in 2017 it was quickly loved by Internet shoppers, and it was hailed by the press as “the Internet’s favorite mattress”. It’s been featured by media platforms like the New York Times, Forbes, and the Good Morning America TV show.
The specs of the Casper Sleep 10-inch Memory Foam mattress don’t seem all that extraordinary at first glance.
- Yes, it has 4 layers of foam with the right balance of support and softness.
- Unlike other memory foam mattresses, the dreaded drawback of sleeping too warm and waking up drenched in sweat. That’s due to the tiny pores in the foam that let the hot air escape.
- It arrives in a very small box, so you can carry it easily to your bedroom.
- You have 100 nights to try it out, and if you’re not satisfied you get a full refund.
- The warranty lasts for 10 long years.
- Extremely comfy
- Enough support
- Compact upon delivery
- long trial period and warranty
- There’s a smell at first, though it eventually dissipates
- So comfy that some forget about their romantic lives—they just fall asleep in bed
Perfect Cloud UltraPlush Gel-Max Memory Foam Mattress (Queen) – 10-inches Tall (The Firmest Mattress for Platform Bed)
Because there are no box springs, you need to spend money on a firm mattress to get that level of support you need for your body. A firm mattress will relieve pressure points, and it can minimize the instances of tossing and turning while you sleep.
This isn’t just a firm mattress, however. It offers many more important features that you’d enjoy on your platform bed.
- It uses a 1.5-inch layer of air infused memory foam atop the 6.5-inch layer of the high-density support base.
- There’s a cooling gel added to help reduce the excessive warmth that memory foam mattresses are known for.
- The premium textile stretch knit cover is amazingly plush and comfy. It’s also fully removable so you can clean it without a hassle.
- The warranty lasts for 10 years too.
- It’s extremely firm for those who don’t want sagging mattresses
- A cooling gel that reduces the warmth
- Plush stretch knit cover that’s easy to clean
- Durable, with the long warranty
- Like all other memory foam mattresses, the edge of the bed isn’t rigid
- You may want to replace the mattress cover with a waterproof cover
Nectar Gel Memory Foam Full Mattress (Best All-Around Mattress for Platform Beds)
So what’s the best of them all for your platform bed, with all things considered? For many (and for us too), the very best is the Nectar Full Mattress with its gel memory foam. It’s great in itself, yet Nectar still adds value by adding in a couple of their pillows that’s worth another $150.
So what’s so great about it? Take a look at some of the features:
- It balances all the relevant factors most people find important: coolness, firmness, comfort, and breathability. It’s soft enough to feel comfy, yet also firm enough to offer proper support.
- The memory foam molds to your body, so that the mattress cradles your whole form and you don’t get pains and aches due to pressure points.
- It’s very cool, with a cooling gel and a cooling cover that wicks away heat and circulates air.
- It’s CertiPUR-certified so it’s healthy for you and for the environment.
- If you change your platform bed and switch to a box spring or a divan base, this works too.
- The trial period is for 180 nights, while the amazing warranty is for forever.
- Extremely comfortable
- Proper support
- Cool for the body
- Environmental and safe
- No-limit warranty and long trial period
- Faint chemical smell at first
- It may be too firm for some, as it has to be firm enough for a platform bed
Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress (Most Natural Mattress for Platform Beds)
Lots of people want their home products like made from natural sources. Not only is it seen to be more “environmental”, but the truth is that synthetic products are more likely to produce allergic reactions. The use of natural mattresses would, therefore, minimize that risk.
So it stands to reason why many would like a truly natural mattress to help people sleep more comfortably. This Zinus certainly qualifies, as it uses natural green tea extract to infuse the memory foam. This is an antioxidant that helps with your sleep.
- It’s CertiPUR-certified, which means it has low volatile organic compounds (VOCs) emissions for better indoor air quality. It’s made without dangerous substances like formaldehyde, lead, mercury, and other heavy metals.
- The memory foam conforms to the natural shape of your body, so there are no specific pressure points.
- It uses special BioFoam with plant oil.
- The layers include 3 inches of memory foam and 2 inches of comfort foam.
- There’s a combined 7 inches of layers that allow for airflow to mitigate the memory foam warmth.
- Doesn’t contain unhealthy compounds
- Very comfy
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
- Doesn’t feel too warm
- Can sometimes take up to a week to fully decompress
- Heavy at 62 pounds
Olee Sleep 13 inch Galaxy Hybrid Gel Infused Memory Foam and Pocket Spring Mattress (Budget Pick)
Just because you save money on picking a platform bed doesn’t mean that you always have a lot of money for your mattress. If you still don’t have a substantial budget for your mattress, it doesn’t mean you need to settle for a substandard option. There’s still this Olee 13-inch Galaxy Hybrid.
This is a hybrid that offers support your platform doesn’t offer. That’s because while your platform doesn’t have box springs, this mattress does. Those springs are at the very bottom of the mattress, to support your body and weight.
- After the cover, you have 4 layers of foam while the 5th is the layer with the coils.
- This is CertiPUR-certified and further tested for harmful substances.
- You still have memory foam to mold to your body shape.
- The memory foam is infused with gel to help regulate temperature
- No pressure points that can lead to body aches
- No harmful substances
- Coils allow for equal weight distribution
- No motion disturbance if you have a sleeping partner
- Not too warm
- No readily available info on warranty
LUCID 10 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress – Medium Feel (Most Sizes Available)
Isn’t it annoying when you like a foam mattress for your platform bed, and then you find out that the size you want isn’t available? Sometimes you pick a size according to your own body size and you take into account if you’re going to sleep alone or not. You may also pick a size depending on your budget. Regardless of what reason you have, it’s always better to have a mattress that’s available in numerous sizes.
That’s what you get with the Lucid 10-inch gel memory foam mattress. Here you actually have 8 different sizes to choose from! These are the twin, twin XL, full, full XL, queen, king, California king, and a rather unusual size called the short queen. The short queen size dimensions are 75 by 60 inches. The twin XL goes at 80 by 39 inches, while the full XL measures 80 by 54.
Of course, the numerous size options aren’t its main selling points:
- The memory foam is infused with gel, and it’s ventilated too.
- You get a medium feel with the 2.5-inch memory foam layer and the 7.5-inch HD foam base.
- It’s CertiPUR-certified.
- Even the fabric cover offers a nice air layer for coolness.
- Conforms to your shape
- Cool and breathable
- Uses durable premium materials
- 10-year warranty
- No smell upon unboxing
- It may lose its firmness over time
Sleep Innovations Alden 14-inch Memory Foam Mattress (The Thickest Mattress for Platform Bed)
The problem with platform beds is that they’re lower to the ground. Older people with knee problems may not be all that comfy when then have to get out of bed from such a low height, especially with thinner mattresses as well. That’s why we have this category and this mattress.
Yes, technically you may find other mattresses that are thicker than 14 inches. But this is our choice for the thickest mattress for platform beds—among the good mattresses around. You’ll find that the other thicker mattresses aren’t as good as this one. The Alden from Sleep Innovations, on the other hand, is both good and thick.
- The top layer is made with memory foam that conforms to your shape.
- The middle layer is airy to help reduce the excessive warmth common to memory foam mattresses.
- You have a nice support layer at the bottom.
- The cover is handcrafted to provide a feel like a pillow.
- It offers a medium-soft feel.
- Plenty of sizes to choose from
- No pressure points and morning pain
- Soft and comfy
- Thick to help you sit in bed and to get up
- The thickness may make the room feel a bit cramped
- Some feel it’s a bit too firm (at least at first)
Buying Guide for Platform Bed Mattresses
So how do you pick the best mattress for platform beds for yourself?
The first thing you need to do is to read product descriptions from advertisers. Of course, you’ll find a lot of hyperbolic claims, but then there are hard facts as well. At least you’ll get a good description of the size of the mattress, so you know whether or not the bed will suit your platform bed dimensions. Then afterward you need to check out the customer reviews. These will give you a fuller picture of what’s it like to sleep on these mattresses. Manufacturers may say that the mattresses they offer is medium-soft, but actual customers may attest that it’s actually hard.
Customers also give you an idea of how the customer support deals with customers like you. A nice long 10-year warranty may seem impressive until you read multiple customer reviews with complaints about how sellers don’t actually honor the warranties. It may be too much of a hassle.
You can, of course, read our reviews. In fact, you can make it a lot easier on yourself to take our word for it and just choose from our list of recommended mattresses. All these are suited for platform beds, though it’s still up to you to choose the best one for your circumstances.
Finally, take advantage of the trial period if it’s offered. A mattress that receives universal acclaim may still not feeling all that right for you. What you feel—and not what others say—is more important.
Factors to Consider
So if you’re going to read expert and customer reviews, which factors should you focus on? Here are the considerations that should be among your top priorities:
The ideal situation is when your mattress dimension perfectly fit the dimensions of your platform bed. Some platform beds don’t really conform to just the Twin, Queen, or King Sizes. That’s why it’s great if you have California king size options and other no so common sizes.
A mattress may let you feel like you’re sinking into dreamland, only to find out in the morning that you’re not as supported as you ought to have been. It’s safe to say that if you wake with unusual body pains after buying a new mattress, the new mattress is probably at fault.
How comfy do you feel when you lie down on your mattress? If you’re really comfortable, then you should be able to sleep more quickly. It’s a lot more comfortable when you have a memory foam mattress that conforms to your shape so your weight is evenly distributed.
The cover will also help with your comfort level. It should really feel great to the touch, and not scratchy and irritating to the skin.
Airiness and Breathability
The problem with many substandard (actually, they’re average) memory foam mattresses is that they’re very warm. So if you want to be comfy, these mattresses must-have features that make you feel cooler to counter this problem.
Are you prone to suffering from allergic reactions when you’re exposed to synthetic materials? If so, then you may want to focus on mattresses that use only natural materials.
That’s a good factor to consider as well if you want environmentally-friendly mattresses. At the very least, you may want to go with mattresses that are tested for harmful or dangerous compounds like lead and mercury. You certainly don’t want VOCs that cause irritation for the eye, nose, and throat, headaches, nausea, and damage to your kidney and liver. If it’s CertiPUR-certified, that’s a good sign.
How long will this last? You can read the customer reviews for clues about this, though the length of the warranty period is also a good indicator. However, the quality of customer support should be good as well.
Some people want thicker mattresses to compensate for the low profile of the platform bed. That’s so they can get up from the bed more easily. It’s great if you can put your legs on the floor from the bed without having to feel as if you’ve slept on the floor itself.
Is there a trial period? Ultimately, you need to test out a bed for a month or two to find out if it suits your needs and preferences. A mattress is best if it somehow feels perfect, and it’s certainly better than a mattress that you have to settle for.
Obviously, you want one that you can afford. But you should also consider the comfort level and durability as part of the value for money.
A platform bed can be a stylish addition to your bedroom, but there’s no rule that says you have to be uncomfortable with your attractive platform bed. With the best mattress for platform beds, you can get the comfort and support you need for a good night’s rest—while your bedroom still looks airy and spacious!